City of Boston Office of Housing Stability
This office provides information to tenants and landlords about their rights and responsibilities.
Housing disputes can arise between landlords and tenants, residents and managers, roommates and neighbors. The City of Boston Office of Housing Stability offers low and no-cost mediation to help you resolve your housing disputes.
Want to know more about a specific building address in Boston? Visit this site and search by street address. Provided by the City of Boston.
- City of Boston Renting Guide
- City of Boston Inspectional Services
City of Boston Zoning Code
**The City of Boston’s Zoning Code prohibits 5 or more undergraduate students from living together in the same dwelling. As you search our listings for Boston, please be aware that any units with 5 or more bedrooms should not be comprised solely of all undergraduate students. Exceeding the five-person limit in violation of the Boston Zoning Code could put your lease at risk and result in higher costs, especially if you or a roommate is forced to move out to bring the dwelling into compliance. For full details of this City Ordinance, please visit the Massachusetts Law Library resource page.
- Citizen Information Service – Highlights of the State Sanitary Code
- Town of Brookline
- City of Cambridge Inspectional Services
Massachusetts Lead Law
Lead paint and young children
- The Forum for Massachusetts Law
- Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation – Massachusetts Tenant & Landlord Rights & Responsibilities
- Interactive Boston Map
- Legal Tactics: Tenants’ Rights in Massachusetts
Helpful posts about tenant/landlord rights in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Law About Tenant/Landlord Rights